Marijuana is a substance that has been around for centuries, and its smell can be recognized worldwide. Though the plant originates from central Asia, it has been grown all over the world for its medicinal and psychoactive properties.
Today, many people are curious about what marijuana smells like, and numerous Reddit users have attempted to answer this question. So, what does marijuana smell like? This post will explore some of the most popular descriptions of this aroma.
What Smells Like Skunk But Isn’t Skunk
“It smells sour if sour were sweet. Or it smells sweet if sweet were sour.” – FungiSamurai
“To me, it smells like skunk.” – Wide-Presence
“A skunk is the closest thing.” – Whiskeyjack1234
“Skunks and herbs” – Althea_The_Witch
“Depends on the strain, but yeah skunk” – Thiccassmomma
“like skunk .. only imagine you liked the smell of skunk. like if you could smell the earthy tones of a nice spray.” – Neither_Fox9508
“Go walk around a college campus at night. That aroma that smells like a skunk but a bit different is the weed.” – ResponsibleAd2541
“The first time I ever smelled weed I thought it was rotting fruit.” – n4wfr4m30fm1nd
“herbaceous cat shit (if the cat eats quality food)” – bodwrdda
The Different Types of Marijuana and Their Corresponding Smells
The smell of cannabis is complex. Some people incorrectly lump all the different notes together under one word, such as skunky. However, most strains of cannabis have distinctive smells from each other, despite their musky odor. Terpenes are what give them their distinct scents.
Terpenes are chemicals present in many fragrant plants, such as mango, lemon, and basil. Mycerene, a terpene found in mangoes, smells fruity. Limonene, which is in lemons, gives off a citrusy scent. And linalool, found in lavender and basil, gives those herbs their aromatic profile. These terpenes are also present in cannabis plants.
How to get rid of the smell if it’s not welcome in your home
While the smell of marijuana may not be offensive to some, others may find it incredibly potent and overwhelming. If you’re worried about the smell of cannabis in your home, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the odor.
- Ventilation is key. Make sure your grow room or smoking area is well-ventilated. Open windows and use fans to circulate the air.
- Use air fresheners. This won’t eliminate the smell completely, but it can help mask it.
- Keep your stash in an airtight container. This will prevent the scent from escaping and permeating your home.
- Smoke outside. If possible, smoke weed outdoors so the smell doesn’t have a chance to linger in your home.
What Are Some Ways to Consume Marijuana That Don’t Produce a Strong Odor?
While smoking weed is the most popular way to consume cannabis, it’s not the only way. If you’re worried about the smell of marijuana, there are other consumption methods that don’t produce as strong of an odor.
- Vaping. Vaping uses heat to vaporize cannabis oil, which produces a much weaker smell than burning plant matter.
- Edibles. Marijuana-infused edibles don’t produce any smell when you’re consuming them.
- Topicals. Topical cannabis products, such as lotions and balms, don’t produce a smell when applied to the skin.
Closing on What Does Marijuana Smell Like Reddit
Marijuana has a complex aroma that is unique to each strain. While some people may find the smell offensive, others may enjoy its earthy and skunky tones. If you’re worried about the smell of cannabis in your home, there are ways to mitigate it. You can vape, eat, or apply marijuana-infused products that don’t produce a strong odor. Ultimately, the best way to enjoy cannabis without the smell is to consume it in a way that doesn’t produce smoke!